FAQs for Students

Q. Are tuition fees charged for the UMAP exchange program?

A. It depends on each program. You can find the details below:

Program A: Exchange students will not be subjected to fees for examinations, admission and tuition at the Host university/institution. Nevertheless, tuition fee should still be paid to the Home University upon request. Students should consult the coordinator of their Home university/institution for details.

Program B: As this is a bilateral student exchange, tuition fee exemption or reduction depends on the negotiation between the Home and Host university/institution. Students should consult their Home coordinator for more information.

Program C: It depends on each university/institution. Most programs charge tuition, but there are some for which tuition is waived. Students should check the contents of each of program in detail.

Q. Do I have to pay registration fees for application?

A. No, you don’t have to pay any fees for UMAP Application.

Q. Does UMAP offer scholarship? How can you apply for financial support for the UMAP programs?

A. Students who study abroad through the UMAP exchange programs (Program A&B) are eligible to apply for UMAP Scholarships. They are those students who study in Taiwan or Japan from UMAP member countries/territories or Taiwanese or Japanese students who study in other countries/territories. For the detail, please see the “Financial Aid”.

Q. Does the UMAP scholarship grant plane tickets and housing?

A. UMAP does not currently grant students with plane tickets or housing fees. Students are asked to cover these expenses by themselves.

Q. Can I select any of the universities/institutions listed under the UMAP Membership page as my top 5 desired universities for Programs A&B?

A. You can only choose universities/institutions that participate in the current program. They are listed in the procedures.

Q. Where should you submit the application form for Programs A, B, C?

A. First you need to visit the UMAP Student Connection Online (USCO) website and register your student account. And carefully reading the program details and reviewing the programs’ contents, length, application deadline, etc. before applying, you can select your top 5 preferred institutions. After submitting application form through the USCO System, it will be passed to coordinators of your university/institution for checking of the contents and selection of students. You need to be nominated by your home institution because each institution can nominate two students per semester for Program A if it doesn’t have additional Quota. Once the coordinator endorsed your application, patiently wait for your application to go through the screening process and receive approval.
Once your application is approved by both the UMAP International Secretariat and host institution on the system, you will then need to submit your “Study Plan” later.

Q. Are graduate students eligible to apply for UMAP programs?

A. Yes, as long as they are currently enrolled in one of UMAP’s participating universities/institutions and will not be graduating from their Home university/institution before the end of the exchange period. Please check the details on the Programs A/B page for which universities/institutions offer graduate programs. But you need to check offered programs and select ones for graduate students.

Q. When does the application period start?

A. Details about the application period will be listed in the “Timeline of Program A & B or C”.

Q. Are there language requirements?

A. It depends on each university/institution. Please check requirement of each program. If “Prerequisite” mark appears on “Language requirement” of the program, the system will automatically screen your level of the registered language proficiency and it will accept applications that satisfy it.

Q. Are there minimum GPA requirements?

A. It depends on each university/institution. Please check requirement of each program. If “Prerequisite” mark appears on “GPA requirement” of the program, the system will automatically screen your level of the registered GPA and it will accept applications that satisfy it.

Q. I have been nominated by my Home University to the UMAP International Secretariat. However, I have yet to receive any result or confirmation from the Host University. What should I do?

A. Please be patient! Refer to the “Timeline of Program A & B” and check the placement deadline and you will see when you can expect to be notified about results. You can see the current status of your application in the UMAP Student Connection Online (USCO) System.

FAQs for UMAP Members

Q. How can you join UMAP?

A. Please follow procedures to become UMAP member from this link: Join UMAP. Once you become our member, you can offer Program A/B/C from UMAP Student Connection Online (USCO) System. Also, students in your university become eligible to apply for our exchange programs.

Q. What are the advantages of becoming a UMAP member?

A. UMAP’s broad variety of study abroad programs meets the diverse needs of students and future employers. In the future, UMAP plans to make practical learning opportunities, including internships, available to students. UMAP’s interconnectedness policy allows for the increase in mutual trust and quality assurance among numerous universities/institutions. Furthermore, the UMAP Credit Transfer Scheme (UCTS) enables students to confidently participate in a variety of quality student exchange programs.

UMAP has an open organization (membership) and an open platform comprising governments, associations of universities, consortia of universities/institutions, and individual universities/institutions. This provides opportunities that extend well beyond those offered by bilateral agreements.

Any country or territory in the Asia-Pacific region is eligible to become a full member of UMAP and participate in UMAP exchange programs. This gives students and faculty members unparalleled access to an incredible diversity of cultures, peoples, histories, and opportunities.

There are also scholarships offered by Taiwan’s Ministry of Education and Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT).

Q. How do students apply for the exchange program?

A. The following are the two steps needed to apply for the exchange program:

1. Students create an account on the USCO System by registering their email address and password. For more information about the USCO System, students can check the Student User Manual through this link.

2. Students complete the Application Form in the USCO System for up to five preferred programs and click “Save and Submit”. The USCO System will automatically inform the UMAP coordinators at the home university/institution that an application has been submitted.

3. Coordinators log into the USCO System, using the ID and password previously sent by UMAP IS. They can then check the applications they have received, and nominate up to two students by clicking “Approve as Program A”. Institutions with additional quotas for outbound students are able to nominate additional students according to the number of quotas they have available. Any additional students you want to nominate can be approved for Program B. Please note: Students in Program B may be required by their host institutions to pay tuition fees.

Q. Can a member university immediately send outbound students if they have already signed the Pledge of Agreement?

A. No. Your university/institution must first complete and send “Outline of Proposals” to UMAP IS during the “Call for Proposals” period through USCO System. UMAP IS will issue a call for programs to member universities/institutions through the website’s News page and via email. Only universities/institutions that offer their Program A/B in a certain program period are eligible to send outbound exchange students to other participating institutions.

Q. How does an UMAP member apply to offer a program?

A. UMAP has its own program period. During Program registration period you are able to send your program through USCO System. You need to log in the system and fill out necessary items in the “Outline of Proposal” form and send it to the UMAP IS by clicking “Save and Submit”.

Q. Does UMAP provide scholarships for students or staff exchanges?

A. Yes. UMAP provided scholarships for students who participated in UMAP programs to and from Taiwan or Japan. Please refer to the UMAP home page about this matter. UMAP also has a grant called UMAP Research Net (URN), which provides funds to joint research projects conducted by researchers from UMAP Pledged universities/institutions.

In several UMAP countries/territories, governments fund national UMAP programs. Participating universities/institutions may also make arrangements to fund bilateral exchanges, taking into account such matters as maintenance of scholarship benefits, eligibility for government funding assistance, and health care costs.

Q. What are the requirements for sending exchange students?

A. The following are the required steps for sending outbound students:

1. The country/territory of the university/institution must first be a current Full Member of UMAP. (Note: Only a country/territory which has a UMAP National Secretariat (UMAP NS) that pays the membership fee is considered a Full Member). If your country/territory is not a Full Member, please consider establishing a UMAP NS in your country/territory. For more information or to discuss how UMAP IS can support this process, please contact us.

2. The University/Institution which is going to participate in UMAP Program must sign “Pledge of Agreement”.

3. The University/Institution which has participated in Program A & B by submitting the Outline of Proposal through USCO System is eligible to send its students to other participating universities/institutions. (Note: Even though a university/institution has joined Program A & B, it does not necessarily mean that the university must receive 2 exchange students in cases such as when no eligible applicants have applied to that particular university).

Q. How many students can we send each semester?

A. Generally two students per semester. Please refer to Article 2 in “The Pledge of Agreement”:

1. The maximum number of inbound and outbound exchange students for each university/institution will not exceed 2 per semester (Program A). Nevertheless, in the case that the university/institution has previously accepted more than the maximum number of 2 inbound exchange students for Program A, extra ‘quotas’ will be given to the university/institution to send more outbound students (equivalent of the gained quotas) in any of the following semesters.

2. If you would like to send more than two students, you are able to nominate them in Program B which is Tuition charged student exchange and/or bilateral agreements made between any 2 participating universities/institutions that hope to exchange more students (Program B: UMAP Bilateral Student Exchange Program or UBE). Note that conditions have to be negotiated between the two universities/institutions. Once the agreement has been made, the universities/institutions must inform UMAP IS.

3. The count of one year should be based on the UMAP Program year, not the academic year of each participating universities. For example, “Program A & B 2019-1” is an exchange student program starting from Fall 2019 and “Program A & B 2019-2” is one for Spring 2020. Together, “Program A & B 2019-1” and “Program A & B 2019-2” constitute one year as UMAP offers Programs 2 times per year.

Q. If my university/institution had previously signed a contract with UMAP many years ago, is it necessary to renew the agreement if we want to participate again?

A. The previous agreement is still in effect even if there has been a change in the International Secretariat. Nevertheless, please contact the UMAP IS or check the National Secretariat page to determine whether or not your institution’s current copy is still applicable.

We may ask you to resubmit the previously signed “Pledge of Agreement” again depending on the situation. If your university would like to renew the agreement, feel free to also contact the UMAP IS.

Q. Are there restrictions on the number of programs (Programs A, B, and C) that we can offer in each round of applications?

A. Regarding Program C, there is no limit for the number of programs. As for Program A & B, it is up to you whether you would like to offer special programs only for international exchange students and/or regular programs which some of your faculties offer to regular students. We ask that you explain the offered programs as part of the “Outline of Proposals”.

Q. Are graduate students eligible to apply for UMAP programs?

A. Yes. Based on the “Pledge of Agreement”, all the participating exchange students should be enrolled in a UMAP participating university/institution. As long as the graduate student meets that requirement, he/she is eligible to apply for applicable programs. Please check the contents of each program to see which institution offer graduate studies.

Q. Do universities/institutions have to pay to participate in student exchange programs?

A. Depending on a country’s/territory’s National Secretariat, which pays the membership fee, universities/institutions may be able to join without any additional payments. Please contact the NS of your country/territory for more information.

Q. When do we need to submit the Outline of Proposals?

A. During each cycle, UMAP IS sends an email to each member institution’s UMAP coordinator asking for proposals of programs. Please check the “Timeline of Program A & B” document on the News page for details.

Q. After the agreement has been signed, what programs can we participate in?

A. You can participate in any and all UMAP programs as long as you follow the conditions stated in the Pledge of Agreement.

Q. Is there a possibility that our student will not get admitted to his/her desired university/institution?

A. Unfortunately, there is a possibility that a student may not be admitted to his/her first priority university/institution. This is because an institution may only accept up to 2 students per semester. When the number of applicants exceeds 2, it is up to the Host’s discretion to select which student(s) they will accept. Other students may be declined even though they may meet the requirements.

Students can choose up to 5 institutions on their applications. If a student is declined by his/her first choice, the USCO System will nominate him/her to his/her second or third priority (even fourth and fifth). However, there may be cases in which all of the student’s desired spots have been occupied by other students because of the popularity of the institutions.

Q. Can a student postpone his/her exchange to the next cycle?

A. Please contact the Host institution directly regarding this matter. If they approve of the postponement, then the postponement will be accepted. Note that you will still need to notify UMAP IS if there is a postponement.

Q. How do we send students to Program B, and how many students can we send?

A. Program B is a bilateral exchange and/or student exchange with Tuition fees charged.

1. Nominate more than two students:
If you nominate more than 2 students, you are able to do so under Program B on USCO System. It is at discretion of the Host institutions whether they accept your students who are nominated in Program B same as Program A (Tuition waived) or Program B (Tuition charged) or declined.

2. Bilateral student exchange:
In case of bilateral student exchange, you need to communicate directly with the Host university/institution to negotiate the conditions, such as the tuition fee, and make an agreement. It will be up to each Host to determine whether or not they will waive the tuition.

Q. How long is the term of the membership?

A. There is no termination of membership unless the member decides to withdraw from UMAP.

Q. How do you apply for Research Net?

A. A call for proposals will be made every two years (the next call will be in 2020). Please apply by submitting a proposal. Only groups of 2 or more researchers from UMAP Pledged universities/institution in different country/territory that share common research interests are eligible to submit the proposals. Selected group(s) will be provided with research funds from UMAP. We will announce the detail on UMAP website.

UMAP Terms and Acronyms