Program A/B

University of Fukui

Fukui Japan


The University of Fukui is the only national university cooperation in Fukui Prefecture. It consists of four schools: the School of Education, the School of Medical Science, the School of Engineering, and the School of Global and Community Studies. It also has three Graduate Schools: the Graduate School of Education, the Graduate School of Medical Sciences, and the Graduate School of Engineering.

The University of Fukui aims to develop human resources to serve the international community as well as the local community and our country, while conducting in accordance with regional characteristics in educational science, advances science and technology, and medical sciences, as well as practicing specialized medical care as the hub of academic and cultural research working under a high standard ethics.

We have developed highly professional human resources leading the next generation by means of detailed education, which maximizes the potential of each and every student, and by advanced education system, which cultivates internationally competitive ability in the global society. We take pride in having the highest employment rate of our graduates for nine years in a row among Japanese national university cooperation with plural schools, and we have been highly evaluated by various enterprises for their high retention rate.

3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui-shi, Fukui 910-8507 Japan

◆UMAP Contact Person

Ms. Eiko Malcolm
International Affairs Division

◆Regular Academic Calendar

·First Semester
From: 1 April 2019
To: 30 September 2019
·Second Semester
From: 1 October 2019
To: 31 March 2019

◆Semester Load in Credits/Units

·Minimum 14 credits (or 7 courses) / semester for international students
·Maximum None

◆General Timetable and Requirements for Graduation

·Total Number of Credits Needed for Graduation

It is up to each department. Please refer to the following web page for details (available only in Japanese):*Note that the list for 2018 academic year is yet to be issued; therefore the web page for 2015 academic year is attached for your reference.

·Number of Years Typically Needed to Complete Undergraduate Program

4 years for School of Education, School of Engineering, and School of Global and Community Studies; 6 years for School of Medical Sciences

◆List of Study Programs that are open for International Exchanges

Program A
Language: English
Admission: April and October

Undergraduate students:
Take Common Courses (Japanese Language and Japanese Affairs), courses from the School of Global and Community Studies taught in English, and Specialized Courses in the following six fields:
1) Culture and Society; 2) Mechanical and System Engineering; 3) Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering; 4) Architecture and Civil Engineering; 5) Materials Science and Biotechnology; and 6) Applied Physics.

There is also a year-round ""Special Research"" course in which students receive research guidance from their supervisors to complete their graduation thesis. However, April admission students can not take ""Special Research"" as it starts only from October.

Graduate students: Receive research instruction in the fields of education or engineering in English. No credit given.
Program B
Language: Japanese
Admission: April and October

Undergraduate and graduate students | For Auditing
Take regular courses with Japanese students and register 10-class hour/week worth of courses per semester.

Graduate students | For Research
Enroll as Special Research Students and conduct research without taking courses. Special Research Students cannot earn credit.

◆Exchange- Related Information

·Exchange Duration
6 months (1 semester) or 1 year (2 semesters)
·Language Proficiency Requirements
Program A: TOEFL PBT 500/iBT 61 or its equivalent
Program B: JLPT N2 or its equivalent
·Instruction Facilities and Other Supports
JASSO scholarship may be available if the programs are granted. Please contact the International Affairs Division for details.

There are two university dormitories for the above program students. Please see the webpage below for details. However, due to the limited number of dormitory rooms, there is no guarantee that a room will be provided for all students wishing to live in a dormitory.

Home stay:


Off Campus Assistance:

There are a few private apartments (furnished) that the university can introduce to those who wish the information. Please contact the International Affairs Division for details.

·Medical Insurance
All international students are required to purchase overseas travel insurance that covers the entire stay period before they arrive in Japan. After their arrival, students are required to have National Health Insurance (about 19,000 JPY per year). The International Affairs Division will help new international students go through the necessary procedures during the orientation.
·Visa Process
Please refer to the following webpage:

Application Submission Deadline: 2 November 2018