Toyo UniversityTokyo Japan
Toyo University was founded by Dr. Enryo Inoue in 1887 as Academy of Philosophy in Tokyo with the basic spirit, “The basis of all learning lies in philosophy.” It has now become a comprehensive university consisting of eleven faculties, ten graduate schools, and a law school in its four campuses with some 30,000 students, including 400-strong international students.
In 2014 Toyo was selected by the MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) as one of the 37 universities nationwide for the Top Global University project. Based upon this significant milestone, it is committed to working towards developing an even higher quality of education and research while reinforcing its efforts for internationalizatoin.
◆UMAP Contact Person
◆Regular Academic Calendar
◆Semester Load in Credits/Units
◆General Timetable and Requirements for Graduation
◆List of Study Programs that are open for International Exchanges
2. Contents: Students take regular courses taught in Japanese or English and Japanese language and culture courses.
3. Teaching Language: Japanese for most classes, English for some courses.
4. Language Requirement: For courses taught in English, there is no language requirement, but the student has to have passed N1 or N2 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) to take the courses taught in Japanese.
5. GPA Requirement: 2.0/4.0 or higher.
6. Required Application Documents: Latest transcript, personal statement and the UMAP application form. Personal statement should include the following two questions.
①Introduce yourself and explain why you would like to participate in the exchange program at Toyo University. Please include details of any academic field you are interested in, courses you wish to take, and goals you have for study abroad.
②It is your responsibility to make the most of this experience. What aspects of your background (i.e. coursework, job experience, travel, intercultural experience) have prepared you to live abroad? How will you prepare beforehand and what will you do while abroad to accomplish those goals?
Please note that the program for Spring 2019 (Apr to Aug) is still yet to be determined and contents in the link below are subject to change.
The link below shows the list of courses which UMAP students can register in AY 2018. The course list for Spring 2019 will be available in March 2019. Unless the student has passed N2 or N1 of the JLPT, he/she is recommended to take the Japanese language and culture program called NEST (Nihongo for Exchange Students at Toyo).
For details, see http://www.toyo.ac.jp/site/english-ep/nest.html.
◆Exchange- Related Information
(Off-campus dormitory) I-House / Kitazono Women's Student Dormitory http://www.toyo.ac.jp/site/english-ep/housing.html
Premium: Approximately JPY 1,500 per month
Visa: A visa should be obtained in a Japanese diplomatic office in your home country.
Application Submission Deadline: 3 October 2018 (For Spring 2019)