Program A/B

Hiroshima University (Not Available)

Higashi-Hiroshima Japan

[*Note: this university can no longer accept additional students*]  

Hiroshima University is one of the biggest National Universities in Japan, with an enrollment of about 15,500 students. The university consists of 11 faculties; Integrated Arts and Sciences, Letters, Education, Law, Economics, Science, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmaceautical Science, Engineering, Applied Biological Science, 11graduate schools, a number of research institutes and other centers.

Hiroshima University has been selected by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) for the “Top Global University Project” as one of Japan’s top 13 universities, providing a world-class research and education (Type A.)

International Exchange Group, 1-7-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima, 739-8514 JAPAN

◆UMAP Contact Person

Mr. Toshio Ohta
International Exchange Group

◆Regular Academic Calendar

·First Semester
From: 2 October 2018
To: 29 November 2018
·Second Semester
From: 30 November 2018
To: 13 February 2019
·Third Semester
From: 8 April 2019 *Please note that schedule is subject to change slightly.
To: 6 June 2019 *Please note that schedule is subject to change slightly.
·Forth Semester
From: 7 June 2019 *Please note that schedule is subject to change slightly.
To: 7 August 2019 *Please note that schedule is subject to change slightly.

◆Semester Load in Credits/Units

·Minimum Students must enroll in at least 10 hours of class contact hours per week in order to fulfill the immigration requirements. Minimum requirement for credits will vary between 14 credits by their course registration.
·Maximum Each faculty has set different maximum credits. HUSA students are supposed to belong to the Faculty of Education where the maximum credit number is not set at this stage.

◆General Timetable and Requirements for Graduation

·Total Number of Credits Needed for Graduation

124 Credits

·Number of Years Typically Needed to Complete Undergraduate Program

4 years

◆List of Study Programs that are open for International Exchanges

Program Name: Hiroshima University Study Abroad (HUSA) Program. Teaching Language: English & Japanese Mainly there are four categories:
(1) Japanese Language Courses (from elementary to the advanced; there are five levels of Japanese Language courses - Level 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5)
(2) Special Courses: Conducted in English and offered for international exchange students (HUSA Program students),
(3) Integrated Courses: offered in Japanese with English subsidiary materials, Or, offered in English for regular Japanese students,
(4) Other Courses: offered for regular students. Exchange students are eligible to take most of the courses offered for regular students in Japanese.

●Language Proficiency: English OR Japanese is required.
If students’ Japanese proficiencies (writing, reading, listening and making a presentation) are advanced, and they have permission from a lecturer to join their class, then they are allowed to attend the regular classes. These classes are basically not intended for international students and are conducted in Japanese. For the Details of the Language Proficiency Requirements, please see below. 

●Hiroshima Univerisity Study Abroad (HUSA) Program:
●HUSA Program Facebook:
●Dr. Naomi Tsunematsu 's Education/Research Homepage (HUSA Program Director) :

◆Exchange- Related Information

·Exchange Duration
A half year (Fall 2018 semester only) or 1 year (Fall 2018 semester and Spring 2019 semester)
·Language Proficiency Requirements
Japanese Proficiency Test 2nd Grade or above OR English TOEFL score (iBT above 61, CBT above 173, PBT above 500) or IELTSscore (Academic Module above 5.0)
·Instruction Facilities and Other Supports

●Ikenoue Student Dormitory (Official Website):

Ikenoue Student Dormitory is 10-minute walk distance from the campus. HUSA Program has a priority to have some rooms for HUSA Students in Ikenoue Student dormitory. However, it is not guaranteed to allocate the rooms to all HUSA students.

Home stay:


Off Campus Assistance:

Hiroshima University Co-op will assist students in finding ""off-campus"" housing. Please refer to the following website:

●Leased Accommodation by University:  
Students can choose to live in off-campus housing. However, the program would recommend to live in the dormitory especially in the adjustment period of their study here.

·Medical Insurance
All international students must purchase the National Health Insurance (NHI) scheme in Japan. This cost about 2,000 Japanese yen per month. If you show the NHI card when you go and see a doctor at the hospital, the NHI will cover a part of medical expenses. Also, Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (Gakkensai), whose premium covered by the university, covers the fixed amount of medical expenses for injuries caused by accidents while in a class and commuting to and from the university.
·Visa Process
Students have to apply for the “Student” visa themselves with the certificate of admittance, which will be issued and sent by Hiroshima University around June of 2018 before their travel to Japan in late September (fall semester is starting from October). It will take about 1 or 2 months to obtain your visa after submitting your application to the Japanese Consulate or Embassy.

Application Submission Deadline: 20 March 2018